- Cook Time: 1 Hour
- Yield: 8 Servings
Sesame and pumpkin seeds along with our homemade sauce adds a kick to the perfect day-after-Thanksgiving dish. Recipe created by Chef Eduardo Ruiz.
- 2 tbsp. sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tsp. annato seeds
- 2 tbsp. pepitas (pumpkin seeds), toasted
- 2 tsp. dried oregano, 1
- 2 chiles anchos, toasted
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 28 oz. Medium Red Chile Sauce
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp. distilled vinegar
- 2 c. turkey drippings
- 2 c. vegetable stock
- 1 head cabbage, shaved
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 8 bolillos
- 1 cucumber, diced
- Mayonnaise, to taste
- Butter, melted, to taste
- Add all the ingredients for the sauce to a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer sauce to a large sauce pan and cook over low heat for 30 minutes until flavors are fully developed.
- Shred turkey meat (2-3 pounds) and add to sauce; leave stovetop on low heat.
- Add all slaw ingredients to a large bowl, mix well and refrigerate. Every 30 minutes, give the slaw a toss so that the cabbage begins to break down. Let sit for about 2 hours.
- Cut the bolillos lengthwise. Toast them in the oven.
- Spread a generous portion of butter and mayonnaise on the bolillo.
- Add a good amount of the turkey in sauce on the sandwich; garnish with slaw and freshly diced cucumbers.
These sandwiches are great for leftover roasted turkey during the holidays, or you can cook a turkey just for this recipe.