- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Yield: 4 Servings
Nopalitos (Cactus Paddles)
- 6 c. cactus paddles, cleaned, stripped of spines and finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 6 jalapeños, stemmed
- 28 oz. Medium Red Chile Sauce
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- ½ c. cilantro, finely chopped
- ½ tbsp. salt
- Place chopped cactus paddles, onion, garlic and baking soda in a medium sauce pan, cover with water and cook over medium heat until tender (about 10 to 15 minutes). Drain, remove onion and garlic; set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, cook jalapeños for about 5 minutes.
- Puree cooked jalapeños or peppers with red chile sauce; set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook pureed chile sauce for about 5 minutes.
- Add chopped cactus paddles and cook over medium heat for 5 more minutes. Remove from heat, stir in cilantro and salt.