Codorniz En Ají Verde
Codorniz En Ají Verde
- Cook Time: 1 Hour
- Yield: 8 Servings
The perfect dish for when you feel like trying something new! Recipe created by Chef Eduardo Ruiz.
- 8 fresh whole quails, one per person
- ¼ c. soy sauce
- 8 oz. Mild Green Enchilada Sauce
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp. ají amarillo paste, additional 4 tbsp. for ají verde sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, additional 5 cloves for ají verde sauce
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, additional 2 tbsp. for ají verde sauce
- ¼ c. pisco, optional
- 1 tbsp. salt, additional 1 tbsp. for ají verde sauce
- 3 limes, sliced
- 5 jalapeños, minced (remove seeds to make less spicy)
- 2 bunches cilantro
- 1 bunch chives, about 8 chive strings
- ¼ c. lime juice
- 2 oz. queso fresco
- 1 c. crema Mexicana
For the quail:
- One day before cooking place into a blender all quail marinade ingredients except the lime slices - soy sauce, 8 ounces of Las Palmas® Green Enchilada Sauce, red wine vinegar, ají amarillo paste, garlic, cumin, oregano, paprika, olive oil, pisco (optional) and salt. Puree until smooth. Set aside.
- Rinse the quail in cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Place the quail into a bowl and pour marinade over. Toss the quail gently to ensure that the marinade fills every cavity. Store refrigerated in a glass or plastic container with lid overnight.
For the ají verde sauce:
- Place 20 ounces of Las Palmas® Green Enchilada Sauce, jalapeño, cilantro, garlic, chives, ají amarillo paste, lime juice, queso fresco, crema Mexicana, olive oil and salt in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Set aside until quail is cooked.
Cooking the quail:
- Preheat grill on high. Remove quail from marinade and pat off excess liquid with a paper towel. Once all the quails are ready to grill, drizzle a small amount of olive oil on each side.
- Set quail on grill, skin side down, making sure not to lift until skin begins to brown; char (about 5-6 minutes) flip and finish on bottom side for another 2-4 minutes.
- Serve grilled quail on top of your favorite potato preparation (French fries, roasted, steamed), drizzle ají verde sauce on top of quail and make sure to save some for dipping!